FOCUS gives you FEEL. FOCUS and FEEL give you TIMING. FOCUS, FEEL, and TIMING give you BALANCE.


The Responsibilities

  • For the Human
  • 1. Don't act like a predator
  • 2. Have an independent seat
  • 3. Think like a horse
  • 4. Use the natural power of focus
  • For the Horse
  • 1. Don't act like a prey animal
  • 2. Maintain gait
  • 3. Maintain direction
  • 4. Look where you're going

The Principles

  • 1. Horsemanship is natural
  • 2. Don't make or teach assumptions
  • 3. Communication is two or more individuals sharing and understanding an idea
  • 4. Horses and humans have mutual responsibilities
  • 5. The attitude of justice is effective
  • 6. Body language is the universal language
  • 7. Humans teach horses, horses teach humans
  • 8. Principles, purpose, and time are the tools of teaching

Friday, June 25, 2010

June 24, 2010

Finally had a chance to go to the barn, only for a short session, but it's been almost 2 weeks since I've been. Work schedule is a cruel taskmaster, plus family reunion was last weekend.

Had a very good session! Sonny popped right up on both pedestals like he's been doing it all his life. Not a stumble or even requiring a second try-even on the taller/smaller topped pedestal.

Also, change of direction at the trot is getting considerably better. On a left circle, it's good enough to be moved to the 7 session list. Not quite there yet on a right circle, but he's turning much better. It takes a little wiggle of the rope to get him to pay attention, but then he does come toward me and give me two eyes, and does change direction when I ask with the rope. On a left circle, he was starting to turn even before I lifted the rope to suggest the new direction. Nice!

The big trailer was out, so we were able to do L2 trailer pattern with the small trailer. Still good on that.

Bouncng the big green ball on him, and holding up a foot with SS for 30 secs went very well.
I was melting in the heat--triple digit heat index, so did very little stick to me at trot-I was too hot to even keep it up and try to correct. He didnt pick up the trot inside, but he did stop and back from the walk fairly well. Going toward the pasture for turn out, he picked up the trot--not on a rail/wall, and did stop and back up nicely. He gave me a fabulous savvy unhaltering with hardly a cue from me. Good boy!

Here's my current list from memory--the actual crumpled,sweat soaked-now dried-paper is in the car. I'm getting ready to leave in an hour for the Parelli across America stop in Columbus, Ohio-so kinda in a hurry. Sooooo excited !

7 session list

4 feet on pedestal--#6

hold up a foot with SS-3

travelling circles-3

L2 trailer-2

Learning

weave at trot-2

stick to me at trot-3

sideways with rail-3



I'm leaving things off, cant' think of them,,,will correct another time.

PS he didnt come to me, but allowed me to approach and put his nose in the halter.

L is working on a lesson with a 2* PP for a group of us, M has a playdate planned for the 10th.



Slow and right beats fast and wrong.

Fay

No comments:

Post a Comment